Orthodontics for Kids and Adults
No matter what your age, you don’t have to settle when it comes to your teeth. Whether you need braces to fix a misaligned bite or you want to feel more confident about smiling, braces can drastically increase your quality of life.
Braces Are for Everyone
Adults typically want quicker treatment times and cosmetic braces, while orthodontics for kids and teens is more efficient and low-impact than ever. Here’s how braces can help both kids and adults:
- Early Childhood. Did you know that children as young as seven or eight may be good candidates for early orthodontic treatment? Orthodontic treatment at this age may prevent more serious, costly treatments later and can shorten the time braces are worn in the teen years. Phase I treatment is for children whose oral issues are already severe or whose conditions may worsen if not treated early.
- Pre-teens and teens. If early orthodontic treatment isn’t warranted, the ages between 11 and 16 are the perfect window to begin braces. At this age, kids jaws are still developing, which makes treatment for bite or jaw misalignment easier. Once kids’ permanent teeth have finished erupting, they can begin Phase II orthodontic treatment.
- Adults. Braces aren’t just for kids, of course. If you’re unhappy with a crooked smile, protruding teeth, or another issue, you may be eligible for a five- or six-month treatment with clear braces.
Problems Braces Can Fix
Everyone knows that braces can straighten crooked teeth or bring gapped teeth closer together. Here are a few more problems braces can fix:
- Protruding teeth that are prone to chipping
- Overcrowded teeth that could lead to crooked teeth or decay
- Malocclusions, such as crossbite, overbite, and underbite, that can contribute to digestive problems
- Misaligned jaws, which can lead to TMJ and worn teeth
- Difficulty with chewing or speaking
Types of Braces
The days of having only one choice for orthodontic care are over. Now, there are treatments to suit every age, lifestyle, and problem. Here’s a look at orthodontic treatments to straighten crooked teeth:
- Metal braces are made of stainless steel and are often used for children and teens. Metal braces are much smaller than they used to be and kids can choose different colors for the bands and wires.
- Ceramic and cosmetic braces are often the choice of adults who don’t want the distraction of noticeable orthodontic work. Modern brackets and wire braces can be made of tooth-colored ceramic or can even be placed behind the teeth to hide them entirely.
- Clear aligners are popular with both older teens and adults and are also “invisible.” The removable plastic trays allow you to eat without worry and keep your dental hygiene spotless.
Braces Restore Confidence
There’s no denying the power of having confidence in your appearance. When you’re confident about your teeth, you’re more likely to smile, laugh, and speak with ease. Braces can boost the self-confidence of children and adults alike!
Call Our Office Today!
Find out if you’re a good candidate for braces by scheduling an appointment with our dental office. We’re happy to review the treatment options and help you get started with braces!